What To Do If Your Home Has Asbestos

Asbestos removal

If you discover that your home contains asbestos, do not panic. Generally, asbestos-containing materials that will not be disturbed and are in good condition will not release asbestos fibres. However, asbestos-containing materials that are sanded, torn, cut, sawn and removed improperly may release fibres that are likely to pose a health risk.

If you notice that an asbestos-containing material is damaged, the safest way to deal with it is to not touch it, limit the access to where it’s located and contact a trained asbestos professional.

Repair or Isolate

If asbestos-containing materials are slightly damaged, it can be repaired or isolated. For example, small slits or tears on pipe insulation can be repaired. If the material is in good condition, it can be isolated using a sturdy, airtight barrier. Although these are only temporary solutions, repairing or isolating an asbestos-containing material can minimise health risks.

Contact an Asbestos Professional

The only permanent solution for dealing with asbestos in your home is to contact an asbestos professional to remove it. Asbestos removal poses a high risk of fibre release if it is not done properly. An asbestos professional should wear disposable clothing, approved respirators and use a HEPA vacuum.

After the removal process, they should take air samples to ensure that a home is completely free from asbestos fibres. If you want to remove asbestos-containing materials from your home, ensure that you choose a professional from a reliable company that is certified to do asbestos removal.

EOSH Consulting is recognised as a leading provider of asbestos risk management solutions and asbestos removal in Perth. We are a Western Australia licensed asbestos removal company that is fully qualified to handle any asbestos-containing materials. We have over thirty five years of experience in managing the most challenging asbestos removal projects.

For more information on our asbestos removal service, call 0451 431 077 or 08 9288 1831.